Saturday 3 August 2013

A Wiggles cake, a wedding cake and Sareybears 40th b'day cake ....

Hello and welcome back to what has been an incredible month ....

Let's get straight into the world of cakes as its been a very busy time.

Amy and James are getting married in October and have asked me to do their wedding cake but first  was their daughter Ruby's 2nd b'day weekend. Here is the Wiggles cake which I finished yesterday.




 This cake was baked and decorated inbetween my first week back at work after 4 weeks holiday (sensational), mum being in hospital (she's OK) and Coco the 16yr old Burmese causing mayhem at the vet (just make sure her heat bag is warm, its not hard).

The one thing I am struggling with at the moment is time. Working 6 days a week plus having a very active life its hard to fit everything in. I love making the cakes so something is going to have to change next year ... stand by ...

The below wedding cake was completed 48hours after I got off QF 2 from London Heathrow on a Thursday at 05:00am. Yes agreed, I don't usually make things easy for myself.... however the bride and groom (Georgina and Tom) are very lovely people who were using all local suppliers for their wedding and I very much wanted to be a part of their big day. And besides, sleeping is overrated .. the jet lag would just have to wait until I was ready ....

For this cake the bottom tier was make with silver leaf which was awesome to work with once I worked out how to use it. Big high five to me for ordering 2 x packets of silver leaft as I went through the 1st packet in 10 mins royally stuffing it up!!!!



Kirstie, one of my fabulous colleagues from Cake Decorating Solutions made the flowers for me ... there was no way in the world I would have the time or patience and Kirstie flowering making talent is brilliant!!!!

The flavours for this cake were awesome. We had white choc hazelnut, choc mud with caramel mixed in (like a paddlepop), choc raspberry mud and then white choc with strawberries and cream.

One of the reasons I went back to the UK in July was for Sareybears (aka Sara) 40th b'day. The theme for her party was to be canapes, cocktails and cake so I wanted the cake to be extra special.

Sareybear, Els and I were flatmates in London from 1999 - 2001. Can honestly say that those years were just the best ever. We created 2 x homes where everyone was welcome and there were many many nights of everyone being at our house for all hours or just staying over. All my years in London were what the "London years' were supposed to be all about and the friends/people/work people that were introduced to me in that time have helped create the best memories ever!!!

But as we know time doesn't stand still. We all had to grow up and get half serious eventually. Sareybear married the love of her life Marcus, bought their first home, and now have 2 beautiful daughters who are just simply divine named Lucy and Marnie.

Sarey has been our kindred spirit (yes from Anne of Green Gables, cant beat it!!!) from the very first moment she rang the doorbell looking for a room to rent at Silver Crescent. Sarey is one of the closest people to me in my life and when I see her and am welcomed back each time into the Jones family home in London, you just know everything is going to be alright. Everything in their home that she and Marcus have created all just fits brilliantly and its what a home should be, especially when you have the biggest plate of Sarey's spaghetti bol in front of you ......

This was my practice cake ... to make sure the oven and I liked eachother. Was a BBC classic victoria sponge ... just take note of all raspberries and blueberries ... so lovely ....


Making the ganache for the 100's and 1000's cake ... I very rarely make ganache now cause I generally royally fark it up but I had to in this case as there wasn't anywhere to buy pre made ... crossing fingers.



And breathe ... actually turned out to be the best batch I have ever made!!!


Using proper English ingredients - Petrice you will be happy to know that the eggs were the most free rangeist organicist I could find!!!!


Kitchen envy again!!! Loved it ... and Sarey and Marcus modelled the design on Silver Crescent with the cooking area looking on to the table so everyone is in the room together ... the way it should be.


The lanterns ... they looked fab. This is getting the theme ready for the party ...


Back to the task at hand ...ganache YES ... first layer of icing ... going on ... Please be mindful that it was 34 degrees, half 6 in the evening and the party guests were arriving VERY SOON!!!


The tray of joy ... literally 100's and 1000's of sprinkles .... they went everywhere!!!


Didnt get a chance to do a practise so it was now or never ... don't look back is what I say ... just roll with it ... literally.


Good result ....


Sent myself outside to finish off as I couldnt tell what sprinkles were going on the cake and what was staying on the bench. I did warn Sarey and Marcus maybe it might not be best to look in the garden either ... that's where the left over sprinkles may have ended up....



Trying to set the scene ... honestly in the mad rush I did not acknowledge my half eaten pizza ... best pizza outside Italy too if I can say just quietly ....



Surprise colour look ... just to spice things up ....


Great crowed of Sarey's nearest and dearest. Was brilliant to catch up with some very good friends like Charlie Brown and hear of the new adventures with her, Steve and the twin boys ... love it!!! It was still light at 9:45pm ... how could you not beverage on ...



About 1:00am when we cut the cake .....


About 4:00am when it was just about bed time .... love the party look .... a sign of a FRIGGIN awesome party .....













No comments:

Post a Comment