Sunday 28 April 2013

Mastering macarons .......

I love caramel!!! 

From when I was little and we used to go to McDonalds ... actually who am I kidding, I still frequent McDonalds and I enjoy every part of it!!! The McDonalds at the top of the Champs-Élysées in Paris is my favourite in the world. You are asking why??? Well its in one of the best avenues in the world for shopping and you can eat a cheeseburger with hot chips in it and watch the shinanigans of the traffic at the Arc De Triomphe roundabout at the same time!!! Anyway I digress....

McDonalds caramel sundae's, caramel milkshakes (keep them away from Auntie), caramello koalas and cobbers from the 2c lolly jars (even though they wouldn't be 2c anymore) .... I love caramel!!!

So today I was trying to tick something off my list that's been bothering me for a while. I can bake cakes, cupcakes, cake pops, biscuits, slices ... etc etc, however the one thing I cannot master is macarons. So this arvo I was going to attempt salted caramel macarons.

Just like I can't tell you the difference between onshore and offshore in surfing terms or the offside rule in football (soccer) terms, I can't tell you why I can't master macarons. I have attempted them 7 times and each time they just looked miserable ... A watched macaron doesn't rise!!! I did learn that ....

UNTIL TODAY MY FRIENDS!!!! I CONQUERED THEM!!!! 

One of my favourite books is called 'Like Water For Chocolate' and its based in Mexico and its about a girl that cooks for her family and the feeling that goes into her cooking. If she was in a fouly then the food was terrible, however if she was in an awesome mood, then her cooking was fabulous. I think this counts for alot .... and I base it on alot of my cooking experiences ...

Anyway the macarons below are for 2 of my gorgeous cousins, Melinda and Josie who b'days it is tomorrow .... however since they live a little bit far away my work team are going to benefit from them .....


Take a moment!!! This is my favourite sifter in the whole wide world. I have tried and tested at least 10 different styles and this one is defo the bees knees!!! Thank you Els!!!!


Before the Oven ....


 And after the oven - woohoo!!!!


Oh yes!!!! Not perfect but well on the way. And hey if you have perfection the first time, what have you got to work towards!!!!


We all know I love a trip to Bunnings. Love it. Even if its just to play sharades with the poor unsuspecting Bunnings Staff member who has to try and decipher what I am trying to describe!!! 

The below measuring tapes coming in a variety of different colours. I nearly bought a purple one, not that I needed it but it was purple. Next time maybe ....


I found Chris in the Tools section and I was trying to describe the scraper below by calling it a shovel. He took me to the shovels section and I kept on trying to illustrate what I was trying to look for. We finally compromised (somehow) and I got the below. What I didn't show you is the variety of sizes and types of handles. All to complicated. Bless Chris. I said just pick one for me ... everyone is a winner!!!


I am doing the biggest most difficult cake to date ever (for me) at the end of July and wanted to get a bit of practise in, so have a look at a new design in cake decorating at the moment called 'Sugar Veil'. Its all edible and gives the cakes a really lovely vintage classic stylish look.



 Its still not dry enough to peel away yet but you get the idea of what its going to look like ... Wait till July ... this cake is going to be incredible!!!

And just cause its Sunday night and I can ... I made these dark choc peppermint frogs. I used real proper grown up coverture chocolate and frigg me it makes a difference in taste. Put some freckles in there too ... they taste awesome (if I can say so)












No comments:

Post a Comment